DC photo diary [part 1]

May 23, 2018
Let me preface this post by saying that we knew it was going to rain before we left. The amount of rain, however, we greatly underestimated. I had to convince Andrew to bring his rain jacket because, "it'll probably rain at least once." I didn't even bring my rain boots or umbrella. (Though I did bring my vintage Dooney All Weather Leather, so there's something to be said for that.)

We decided to spend the first day of our trip in Baltimore. We had tickets to an Orioles game that night and thought we'd spend the morning and afternoon exploring. Charm City was everything it was promised it'd be. We had been recommended seafood at Mo's and it did not disappoint. Andrew had the jumbo lump crab cakes and I had a pound of the best snow crab legs I've ever had. 

After lunch, we decided to do a little exploring. We ended up on the inner harbor, where a boatload  of boats were harbored (pun fully intended). The day was beginning to really warm up, but the cool breeze kept everything balanced. I was perfectly comfortable in my rolled up long sleeve and jeans.

The sky went pitch black shortly after this and it wasn't yet nighttime. This was the beginning of what was to be a very rainy week.

The baseball game ended up being rained out and postponed for July, but we stuck around while the storm weakened and to soak up what we could of Camden Yards. 

On our second day, we decided to head into the district. I opted for olive green leggings, a matching  olive tee, and my favorite Adidas because we knew we’d be doing a lot of walking. I took my rain jacket “just in case” and because “it’s kiiinda drizzling.” I didn’t even switch my glasses for contacts. I’m kicking myself at my unpreparedness as I write this. We knew we didn’t wanna drive, so we opted for the metro. Then… we emerge from underground to find that somewhere along our ride, a torrential downpour had begun. All of a sudden, my leggings and tee are dampened and have adhered to my skin. My rain jacket is doing what it can, but the humidity is making me sweat underneath it. We didn’t think this amount of rain was in the forecast, so I didn’t even bring along my all-weather-leather bag. And arguably worst of all, my glasses are both fogging up from the humidity and being pelted by rain drops constantly. Everything is not okay. I feel icky and I can’t even see anything,  but we decide to push forward. I ignore my sticky clothing and wipe my lenses off as often as I need to. 

Our attitude about everything that day
"I’m down for renting bikes if you are.” And with that, we headed over to one of the Capital Bikeshare stations and rented a couple of bikes. I know it was an odd decision in lieu of the weather, but it turned out to be the best thing we did. We sped from monument to monument, got in a good workout, and saw so much more than we could have hoped to see had we been on foot. Even with the rain coming down like it was, I would definitely do it again.

Near the end of our journey (which was about 15-20 miles of biking), I ended up wiping my makeup off because it was melting despite my best efforts and added to my ick. At this point, keeping my glasses dry was impossible and I couldn’t see a thing. I wasn’t comfortable taking my camera or phone out of my bag with the heavy amount of rainfall either, so we decided to call it a day for sightseeing. 

Coming up later this week -- I tweak my outfits to accommodate the increasingly wet and cold (!!!) weather and made the rest of the trip one of our favorites yet. Stay tuned for part 2 of our road trip where we explore, eat, and drink.